Recruiting nontraditional students into STEM and CTE programs and pathways can be a significant challenge. Understanding the root causes is crucial to sustainable change; however, recruitment remains one of the biggest hurdles to participation. In this workshop, we review the best practices for recruitment, and participants explore strategies that will work best for their population.
- Review your recruiting communications to ensure they reflect diversity.
- Personal and direct invitations are most effective.
- Recruit in groups.
- Use relatable role models.
- Create exploration experiences for targeted students
- Provide repeated exposure
- Reduce stereotype threat