‘Who you gonna call?’ CALL BIAS BUSTERS!
UPCOMING PODCAST AND ADVICE COLUMNI am currently working on my first season of the Call Bias Busters podcast, coming in 2021, and I need your help because we are:
- Recruiting and equipping a mighty squad of bias busters.
- Vanquishing bias, prejudice, and discrimination.
Who is the column and podcast for?
- People experiencing bias and discrimination and who are seeking advice on how to manage situations
- People who want to be up-standers and advocates for the marginalized and oppressed
- People who choose to be on a self-regulation journey to reduce their expression of prejudice and stereotypes
What’s the format?The format is like a mix of the perennial Dear Abby advice column and the erstwhile New York Times Dear Sugars advice column turned podcast. For every episode of the nascent podcast series, I will have a guest host, another professional with expertise in diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we’ll read and discuss a response to a submitted letter.
Be a part of the show!There are three ways to get involved.
ABOUT THE LETTERS
- “Letters” can be your personal or observed experiences or philosophical scenarios.
- Bias can be interpersonal, institutional, or systemic. Topics can also be related to ideological or internalized oppression.
- We welcome topics on every intersection of identity, including race, gender, class, sexuality, religion, ethnicity, ability/disability, etc.
- Letters only need to be long enough to describe the situation and question.
- Letters must exclude all names and details.
- We encourage submissions to be signed with an alias like “Sleepless in Seattle,” “Discouraged in Detroit,” “Befuddled by Bias,” “Frustrated Firefighter,” etc. Alliteration and location not required! ☺️
- What does it take to be a co-host? Someone who is interested in having thoughtful conversations about meaningful topics. The number of degrees you have or the years of experience doesn’t matter. What matters is your ability to use an intersectional lens to dissect issues, practice empathy in your responses, and keep in mind systemic inequities even when we talk about interpersonal issues.
- I’ll aim to match letters with guests who I think would be the best fit for the discussion.
- Guest hosts will receive the letter(s) in advance to read and consider their responses.
- Podcasts will be recorded virtually, and lightly edited/trimmed for production value.
- Podcasts will be transcribed and posted online.
- To be a co-host, schedule a 15-30 minute call with Meagan to discuss why you are interested, and what topics you would be interested in discussing.
Feedback & QuestionsQuestions? Ideas on how to improve the podcast? Please don’t hesitate to contact me. This is meant to be a collaborative series that adds value and clarity to issues of bias, discrimination, and oppression. We welcome your stories, your expertise, and your passion.
If there's something strange in your neighborhood,
who you gonna call?
If there's something weird and it don't look good, who you gonna call?
If you're seeing things running through your head, who you gonna call?
If you're all alone, pick up the phone and call Bias Busters!
When it comes through your door, unless you just a-want some more, I think you better call Bias Busters!